The season between Thanksgiving and Christmas goes by many names; depending on who you talk to, you probably have your word for it as well! If you haven’t yet been able to truly embrace the “reason for the season,” as some call it, you might want to give it some serious thought.
Joining with others in giving back for the blessings that have been bestowed on you is a great way to make it joyful and memorable for you as well.
But how do you do that? How do you give back without literally taking what you’ve received and handing it over to someone else?
Thankfully, there are several ways you can give and receive the benefits of “giving back.”
Consider these ideas:
1. Visit a children’s hospital.- sick kids need to know that they’re loved and cared for. You can give them that reassurance by spending time with them during this season of giving. Your visits will provide much-needed encouragement and bring some special joy into their day.
· Find out from your local children’s hospital if they have a program that allows you to become a mentor to young patients.
· Make play dates or plan to read stories.
2. Donate cash, food, clothes, toys, or other gifts. Sometimes the most direct way to give is to donate money or goods to a needy individual or organization. Your contribution can make a meaningful difference in an individual’s life or a program’s ability to help the masses.
It’s easy to embrace the season when you realize how much you are appreciated!
3. Adopt a pet. Taking an abandoned pet into your home is one of the most heartwarming things you’ll ever experience! Animals have a direct way of showing gratitude by giving back unconditional love and loyalty.
4. Count your blessings. Sometimes all it takes to embrace the season of giving is a sincere appreciation of all the blessings you’ve received. When you take a moment to look at all you’ve received and achieved, you’ll realize that you have more than you imagined and can then feel free to share your wealth - financial and spiritual - with others.
5. Spend precious time with those you love. Special memories with family members and other loved ones are worth more than their weight in gold. It’s an awesome feeling to let those closest to you know how important they are to you. That’s probably the best gift you’ll ever give them!
As you can see, the season of giving can mean what you want it to mean. Embrace it by choosing your particular way to give back to others while giving thanks for all you’ve received.
Customize the season to fit your life and cater to what is important to you!
Taking this approach enables you to get the most out of this season of giving and ensures that you can make new memories that you’ll cherish each year forever.